Twilight - 3
New Moon - 6
Eclipse - 8

Jeff got me a kayaking adventure for my birthday back in April. We decided to use it this past weekend. Here's the story behind it. It's little long, though, so feel free to skip over it. haha....
We got up bright and early for our 2 hour tour that started at 10:00am. We had to be there at 9:30am. The weather was a little drizzly and overcast, but we figured it wouldn’t be too bad. We ended up not arriving until 9:50am because of parking drama in La Jolla (it's always so busy there!). We luckily made it in time to still catch our tour. We got suited up in our life jackets and helmets and headed with 3 other tour members and our tour guide out to the beach/ocean. He gives us our brief instructions, informing us that the waves are a little bigger because of the weather (oh joy!), and asks who wants to go out first. Jeff volunteers us. (Yikes!)
Side note about this kayaking experience: I thought this tour involved getting on the kayak in calm water. I didn’t realize that we had to walk out into the water, get on the kayak, and make our way OVER the waves. Help me, please!!! I had also just seen a fin in the water, which I’m pretty sure was a dolphin, but you never know. The ocean creeps me out, so I was starting to get a little nervous.
Alright, so we head out to the freezing cold water and finally get on our kayak after waiting for a few waves to crash on by. The tour guide is there the whole time to help push us over the waves and to remind us to lean back as we go over the waves. (Ok, I can do this. Just breathe.)
We made the first wave, but the second wave comes, and it’s pretty big, and we tip over. Blah! I hate sea water! Not only does it leave a gross taste in my mouth, but it burns my eyes because of my contacts. I start getting a little worried at this point and tell Jeff that I don’t think I can do this anymore. He and the tour guide are encouraging and positive, so I decide to get back on and try it again. So, after we stand there for a minute letting more huge waves crash over us, we get back on the kayak only to be thrown off yet again by a wave. I’m kind of freaking out at this point and tell Jeff I really can’t do it.
So, we headed back to the beach to think about if I could be a man and face the ocean and the waves. I’m crying and kind of shaking. We watch some of the other members of our group go out, and they tip over a few times before I decide I definitely don’t want to do this whole “kayak tour” thing. No thank you. So, we ed back to the store where we first started. The guys at the place were really nice and offered to let us go out another day or take our some boogie boards, but we decide against it. I didn't even want to think about going back out there.
I pictured our kayaking tour in La Jolla at the caves as this beautiful, peaceful thing. Maybe it wouldn’t have been so bad if we didn’t have to go over the waves. Or maybe it would have been just as bad since I don’t like the ocean and would have been afraid of tipping over the whole time. I don’t know. I felt bad for wasting our $50, but I was not about to risk my life. (I'm dramatic. I know.) I’ve had bad luck surfing and kayaking. Maybe water sports aren’t my thing!!! That’s what I’ve decided. I'll stay clear of the ocean, too, unless I can see the bottom of the ocean floor. (Hawaii anyone???)

Saturday night, after I took a 3 hour nap (Mmmmmmmm......) and Jeff helped some friends take out tile in their new house, we (friends with the new house, Jeff, and I) drove 1 hour north to eat at Cafe Rio. Hello deliciousness! We decided we should make it a monthly trip.
We watched fireworks in San Marcos on Sunday. They started off pretty good, but then THERE WAS NO FINALE!! Seriously. Who has a fireworks display without a finale. People just kind of waited around a little while not knowing if they should leave or what was going on. After a few minutes of no more fireworks being shot into the sky, we called it a night, commenting on how lame the show was.
Well, turns out, they had to end the fireworks abruptly because 4 people got hurt due to a firework that had a mind of its own. Ok, that explains it. I guess the show wasn't so lame after all, now that I know this.

It was so nice to have a long weekend. Jeff and I went to Henry's Farmer's Market yesterday and bought so much fresh fruit. Blueberries for $1, cantaloupe for $.88, and more. YUM-O! We had a picnic in our living room last night to celebrate. (Don't hate...we just got back from the gym.)
Johnny and MaKayla both celebrated birthday this weekend. Joel's birthday is tomorrow, and Alia's is on the 9th. Geesh! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALL!!!! Love you!



1 comment:
I would have been the same way on the kayaking experience. I am not a fan of the water.
Post a Comment