Thursday, September 9, 2010

I Want Adventure in the Great Wide Somewhere…

Random Thoughts:

I want to move to China. On a scale of 1-10, I’m a 10. Jeff’s a 9. We want to teach English in China, save some money, and pay off some debt. I think it sounds cool. Living in a different country. Doing something meaningful. I looked into this while I was at BYU, too. The thought has come back. Maybe we’re meant to do it?!?!

If we ever want to have kids or a house, we won’t be able to live in California. We pay $1300 for a one bedroom apartment. If we had to pay anymore, and we wouldn’t be able to pay the rest of our bills. A descent house is more than that, much more. And then, we’d have the responsibility of paying for things when they break, no pool or spa or workout center, etc. Jeff and I are both content with an apt for now. Plus, we don’t have kids, so who needs a huge house when we don’t even know what we’re doing with our lives???

Spider webs fascinate me. They are so detailed. And, have you ever noticed how some of them are attached to the ground at one spot and then attached again like 5 feet up? How does the spider do it? Maybe it’s a huge spider. Eek!!!

Should I go back to school for my Master’s Degree? This is something that has definitely been on my mind a lot the past few weeks! I was considering University of Phoenix or National University because I can do them both online. I was originally thinking of Counseling or Human Resources. Then, I was leaning towards an MBA. UOP and NU don’t require a GMAT or GRE exam and take pretty much anyone. Would employers take the degree seriously? Or, should I take the graduate exam and try for a different school? If Jeff also continues school after his Bachelor’s, we’ll be well over $100,000 in debt from student loans. Who in their right mind can afford that? Is pursuing the Master’s even worth it for all of that debt? I don’t even know what I want to do with my life.

Katie got engaged last night to Paul Johansen. They came to visit a few weeks ago, and we had a blast. We really like Paul and can’t wait for them to be sealed together forever! Congratulations Katie! LOVE YOU TONS!

Shannon has an awesome job working on the Disney Cruise Line. She gets to see new countries all the time…France, Spain, Italy. I’m a little jealous of this fact. I’m not jealous of her 15 hour work days. BLAH!

Jeff turns 27 next week. I hate buying presents. I always have. I’m the kind of person who wants you to tell me what you want. Then, I’ll get it for you. Otherwise, sorry. No present for you. I can never think of what to get people. So, don’t think it’s because I don’t love you. I just don’t do well with gift purchasing. I told Jeff that he better tell me what he wants, or else he won’t get anything. I’m such a good wife. Ha…

Jeff is looking into volunteering at a fire department. He’s still throwing around the idea of becoming a firefighter. But, he wants to volunteer first to see if it’s something he wants to pursue. If he does, he’ll have to quit his awesome job to go to fire academy for 4 months. We’ll then have no insurance, not be able to pay our rent because we’ll be living on only my income, and he wouldn’t be done after the academy….He’ll also need to do paramedic school. But, before he can do that, he’ll have to work on an ambulance making $9.50/hr. People working at In-N-Out start out at $10/hr, and someone that saves your life starts at $9.50?? How does that all work? There is so much involved to be a firefighter in San Diego County. It’s insane.

We ate dinner at someone’s house on Sunday, and it was easily worth 4 or 5 MILLION dollars! It was huge and beautiful. We told them we’d move into their guest home. Or, I mean, they could share the wealth. Just a couple thousand here and there should do.

Everyone I know is having a baby. Not me. But, seriously, what’s in the water? Oh my!

Life’s good. Work is work. Jeff is the best husband in the world. The end.

4 comments:

Rachel DeFreese said...

Oh Sheena,I love that I can now follow your blog. You look so good, and I am so happy for you and your husband! We drove through your hometown back in March, and I thought it was darling-- definitely out in the country, but darling.

The Price's said...

my college roommate is on her 3rd year of teaching english in china. she teaches in wuhan at a university. it is very hard at times but so rewarding. she keeps going back so i guess she really likes it! if you are interested in more info on it let me know.

weedle11 said...

I say DO IT!! DO it before you have kids. Once you have kids you life just gets too complicated. (In a good way though.) If you are serious about it I think it would be a great opportunity. Life is hard isn't is? Decisions are hard. Good luck figuring out what to do!

Come visit us! Love you!!

We might come out to CA in October still. We are throwing around the idea and figuring out if we can afford it. I will let you know.

Donna "Nina" Dively said...

I agree with Weedle now is the time for China if you want to do it, before you start a family. Good Luck! Pray about your decissions and you will make the right choice.