Friday, June 6, 2014

Refusing to nap...

Let's talk about Jackson and sleeping, or lack of.  Before I get to the rest of my post, though, let me give you his stats from his 23 month appointment yesterday.

Height: 37 inches
Weight: 32 1/2 pounds

Ok, so Jackson recently learned to climb out of his crib.  I think it was about a week ago or so. One day, I put him down for a nap, and the next thing I know, I hear him opening his door.  I was SHOCKED!  I asked him to show me how he did it because I was curious.  He showed me, and yep, he had no problem climbing out!  

Since that time, every time we put him down for a nap, he climbed out, despite us talking to him about staying in his crib so he wouldn't get hurt (he's usually really good at listening when we tell him things).  We put him back in the crib each time, hoping persistence was the key, but he continued to get out almost every single time.  He did better at night than during the day for naps, and he learned to stay in for bedtime after just one day.  

Naps were still our problem area.  After a couple of days, he learned that if he didn't open the door, we wouldn't know that he got out of his crib....according to his little 23 month old brain.  He would stay in his room and play and sing and read books.  I didn't mind this, but I wish he would have been quiet so I could have gotten some sleep.  I'm an extremely light sleeper.

Anyways, since he wasn't napping during the day, he was SO exhausted by 7:00pm...30 minutes before his actual bedtime.  One night, I had to go to church for a meeting, and Jackson fell asleep on the way there.  I could not wake him for anything the entire time I was there.  Here he is that night during my meeting, resting peacefully on Mama...

I think the lack of naps also caught up with him one day because one minute, I heard him singing and the next, he was silent.  I peaked under the door, and found him sleeping right by it.  I took this picture under the door because he was sleeping right against the door, and I couldn't open it.  That little furry thing is his dolphin he recently got at Sea World.

He didn't sleep very long on the floor, but I'll take what I can get because I know he needs it!  When he woke up, his face looked like this from sleeping on the carpet.

Yesterday, when I put him in his crib for a nap, he climbed out.  This time, it wasn't so easy for him, though, and I heard him fall.  I ran into his room, and he was crying pretty hard.  He wasn't hurt, but I think it scared him pretty badly.  I soothed him and calmed him down, but when I mentioned putting him back in his crib, he started up again.  So, I put his mattress on the floor.  Guess what happened?!?!  He slept for 2 hours!!!!!  

You are probably thinking, "Get him a big boy bed already!"  Well, we are working on it.  We are looking around for one.  And, we have to figure out where to put the crib since our apartment has ZERO space for it.  But, a new bed has to happen sooner than later since he's climbing out and especially since he fell today.  I would hate for him to get a broken arm or something like that.  So, until we get that bed, I think bedtime will remain in the crib, but nap time will be on the floor with the mattress.

1 comment:

Donna "Nina" Dively said...

I LOVED the under the door picture! LOL!! Glad you explained what the grey thing was, cause it looked like a rat or something. HA HA! I had to laugh at the picture with the carpet imprint on his face.