Tuesday, February 17, 2015

No judgements...

It's no secret that I've struggled with eating and body issues for the past 20 years.  If you've known me that long, you know all I've gone through.  While I don't struggle with anorexia or bulimia anymore, I still struggle with food and the way I look.  It's gotten worse since having kids.

To make matters worse, having two kids and two c-sections has caused my abs to not go back to normal.  It's called Diastasis Recti.  When I lie on the floor and lift my head, I have a gap about 2 1/2 fingers wide between my abdominal muscles.  And, there's a protrusion from between the separated muscles when ever I move certain ways.  It's so frustrating, because my stomach won't go back to normal.  They say it's hereditary, but I don't know of anyone else in my family who has it.  I also used to have an "innie" belly button, but now, it's half out, half in.  So annoying!

Does anyone have any advice?

I keep looking online for ways to help it. I feel like I'm in the early stages of pregnancy every time I look in the mirror.  It doesn't help my self esteem.  So, if you see me, please don't judge.  I'm hard enough on myself the way it is.  That's all for today.

3 comments:

weedle11 said...

I hear you! I'm so glad that you don't struggle with anorexia anymore and I didn't even know you had issues with bulimia! I remember those days. It made me sad to see you that way!

I've read about the Diastasis Recti before. I also have it. It's a bummer but I have accepted it and learned that this is my body. It's created 5 children and it is what it is. I've read that it can fixed but only through surgery where they stitch the muscles back together. I've also read that certain exercise will pull them back together. I don't know which one to believe. It can't hurt to just do the exercises anyway though.:) take a look at these http://mutusystem.com/ and http://www.nowloss.com/How-to-get-rid-of-diastasis-recti-exercises-after-pregnancy.htm

I think you look amazing and are beautiful! Seriously. You just had your second and look so great! I'm not just blowing air up your butt either.

Good luck. Let me know if you try the mutu system and if you do, if it works. I read many good reviews about it but haven;t actually tried it myself. I should. Maybe I will.

nana said...

Sheena, just happened to check your blog when I checked Jacob's and I had to let you know that Shelley has the same thing. The dr. told her when she's done having kids it will need to be fixed surgically. She may know more; I'll ask her to let you know of anything else.
Debbie

Donna "Nina" Dively said...

We unfortunately live in a world where everyone wants to look perfect. What is perfect? Perfect is loving life and who you are. Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. I wish we all could accept that. Body image is hard to deal with. You don't see what I see. I see a tiny mom who looks great for just having a baby four months ago. But then again, it took be 24 years to lose my baby weight from my fourth. LOL!!!