Friday, May 18, 2012

Another ultrasound...

I had another ultrasound last week.  My doctor called it a "growth ultrasound" because she wanted to make sure Jackson is growing properly.  The entire appointment took about an hour.  The lady doing the ultrasound had me on my back, and after about 10 minutes, I told her I felt like I was going to pass out.  She had to get me some water, a cold cloth, and she had me roll to my side.  This helped a bit.

But, then, she needed me on my back again.  This time, I lasted about 3 minutes before I told her I needed to sit up.  She had me use the restroom for the next part of the ultrasound, and she literally held on to me and walked me there because I looked so bad.  When I looked in the mirror, I was P-A-L-E!!!  It was awful!  The other ladies in the office asked me if I was OK because I didn't look good.  After that, I had to go back in and lay on my back again.  Even with just being up, walking, and drinking some water, I didn't last very long.  Poor lady.  I felt bad, but she said it happens all the time.  She said she even had someone vomit all over her machine once.  Nasty!

I told my mom about this experience, and she said, "Can't you lay on your back?"  I was surprised she asked this, having had 6 kids herself.  Well, the answer is NO!!!  After the first trimester, it is highly discouraged!  By laying on your back, pressure is placed on the major vein and disrupts the blood flow back to your heart.  Hence, the almost passing out.

But, the good news is that Jackson is growing and healthy!  Everything looks great!

3 comments:

Rachel Wattson said...

That is tough girl. Glad Jackson is healthy and growing. Hang in there:)

Donna "Nina" Dively said...

i really never have heard this. Just like I have never heard to not eat lunch meat/cold cuts when you are pregnant. Guess I am old school.

Lindsay Teter said...

i ALWAYS laid on my back. It was sometimes the only way I could get comfortable. You're almost done! So excited for you guys!!!