Thursday, March 20, 2014

The next few days...

The days following our staycation, Jeff had to work.  So, Jackson and I stayed busy.  We made a little picture for St. Patrick's Day that we hung on the refrigerator.


When Jeff came home from work, we had fun making faces for the camera.  I know, we do this A LOT!!!  We just love seeing what kinds of faces Jackson will make.   



Some friends of ours had a stash of beans for her kids to play with one day when we were over there.  I loved the idea.  So, we got some at the Dollar Store.  Jackson and I play with them every day...sometimes twice a day!!!


Jackson and I made a trip to the zoo.  We can get him to "smile" by telling him to make a silly face. We do this, otherwise, all of his pictures are of him just standing there looking kind of mad/serious. 

We rode the Skyfari again, even though it was a little scary last time.  Well, it was worse this time around.  Check out his face.  Poor kid!!!  He had real tears streaming down his cheeks!



I was soon able to calm him down enough to distract him from the Skyfari, though, by telling him to stick out his tongue like Mama.  

After that, he deserved a snack.  Food always makes him happy!

And another snack a few minutes later.  After riding the Skyfari, all he wanted to do was sit and people watch.  He would point people out to me and say, "Who's that?" I would talk about the people and what they were doing. He would also say, "Jackson watch people."  We left the zoo after our snacks and people watching.  I don't think we'll ride the Skyfari again.  I learned my lesson this time.

After a few days of work, Jeff had off again, and we were up to more adventures. We've been talking a lot about making waffles, but I refuse to by the boxed mix because it's not very good for you.  Plus, we make waffles like once every two years, so it just goes to waste.  Jeff likes his waffles with syrup, and I definitely will NOT by just regular old syrup.  That stuff is nothing but corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup and other junk.  I told Jeff we could have waffles if we made them from scratch and bought 100% pure maple syrup.  He agreed to give it a try.  

I found a recipe using whole wheat, and we whipped up some waffles.  We made homemade apple/lemon juice to go with it.  

Jackson and I thought the waffles were yummy.  Jeff wasn't exactly thrilled with the waffles or the syrup.  I told him eating healthy takes some getting used to sometimes.  When all you are used to is stuff that is bad for you but tastes delicious, then that's all your body wants.  The waffles were good, and he would get used to them.  He agreed.

After waffles, we headed to Sea World.  The Sea Lion and Otter show was really funny.  One of the characters was a guy named Biff.  He did a pre-show, too, and he was hysterical.  My brother, Dylan, should audition for his part because he could totally do it.  Jeff and I both said we saw Dylan playing Biff. His personality is perfect for it.  So, Mom, pass it along.  :)

We rode a ride, but Jackson wasn't exactly thrilled with it.  


We waited in line to see Elmo....AGAIN!!!  I think this is a must-do every trip to Sea World.


Jackson splashed in some water.

We saw Shamu!



We must have worn Jackson out because he fell asleep while eating a cracker in the car.  
















2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bud is slowly coming around to my "healthy cooking". It's definitely been a transition for him. He was raised on processed food and soda. I wanted to share two of my favorite website with you. I think their are some recipes you would really like. The first one is: http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/real-food-resources/recipe-index/. I have a lot of favorites on here but If I had to pick my top three I'd say the Chicken, Healthy Mama BBQ (I like to add pineapple), Whole Wheat Waffles and The Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes.

The other website is a blog by a friend I went to school with. I have learned SO much from her about healthy eating. http://healthytastyandsimpleeating.blogspot.com. I have made over 50% of her recipes and have loved everything. My favorites are the chicken marinade, Green Pea Pesto, Quinoa Black Bean Burrito Bowls (my girls LOVE this one), The Thai Green Chicken Curry...oh there are too many to list here that I love.

I would love for you to share some of your favorite recipes or sites.

Donna "Nina" Dively said...

So Jackson really came around and isn't afraid of Elmo.

Jeff is really Edward.

Dakota boiled down the best homemade maple syrup I ever ate!! He tapped the trees by their house. I wish Jeff could have tasted it, he would have loved it. It would make any whole wheat waffles taste delicious.